Friday, October 28, 2011

Heirloom Bakery & Cafe

When I see the word heirloom, images of vibrant red, juicy heirloom tomatoes pop to mind! I wonder if that is why they gave it that name?

I brought my Singaporean friend to Heirloom Bakery & Cafe for brunch a few days ago. Even though it was a weekday morning, the place was packed! It was our first time there and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. What made an impression on me was not only the food, but the people. The lady who took our orders was chirping away, and such cheerfulness is certainly contagious. You feel welcomed before even taking a bite!
I loved the casual feel of the place, which is nestled in a corner of a quiet neighbourhood. We started off with a scone, which was pretty decent. They didn't give me a coffee menu when I asked for it, but they make your usual latte and mocha, etc. I ordered their pressed sandwich, which consists of provolone (yum), salami, egg, tomatoes and pesto dressing. 
This was, to me, the highlight of the day. It was simply delightful! The country bread was toasted just right, not burnt, the melted provolone cheese paired well with the grilled tomatoes and the pesto dressing gave it the tint of herb without overpowering the cheese. The portion was big enough, making it really value for money.

My only gripe was that they got my friend's order wrong. She wanted mushrooms on a side, but they ended up scrambling her mushrooms with her eggs, which didn't turn out very good. But the lady apologised for the error, and we were ok with that. It's not an error hideous enough to stop me from coming back.

They have a daily special menu on top of their usuals, as well as a range of sweet treats such as brownies and cupcakes. While this is not the best brunch I've eaten, I'd say with the friendly staff and cosy ambience, I'd definitely make a trip back to check out their other stuff.

Heirloom Bakery & Cafe
807 Meridian Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91031

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment