Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kosuke

Kuro Ramen $7.95
Was hit with a sudden craving for a hot bowl of ramen with thick, milky pork broth since yesterday. As our favorite ramen place was not opened on Sundays, I had to wait until today to have it. But boy was it worth it!

I've been to a couple of ramen shops in LA so far but none was more satisfying than Kosuke. Even the one we had at the Little Tokyo didn't have the depth of flavor that this chef was able to summon from the pork bones. To me, a good bowl of ramen must first have good stock, then decent noodles, followed by whatever ingredients you like to go with it. The only downside for this is the egg, which is hard-boiled. I'm not sure if it is because of the danger of salmonellosis or the fear of a potential lawsuit, but they really cook their eggs through. Anyhow, aside for not getting my onsen, I am very happy with this place!

From left: Gyoza ($1 with any ramen) and Tonkotsu Ramen
I would usually go for the spicy ramen, which by the way, has spicy levels between 1 and 5. I usually take no.2. Today, however, I decided to try their Kuro Ramen, which is topped with their special blend of black oil (made of garlic, I believe). My initial hesitation was due to a rather bad experience of a similar type of ramen back in Singapore. The place where I tried was really popular, so I thought I was just not fond of the "special black oil". But after today, I'm a convert! This Kuro Ramen was fragrant with a hint of garlic flavour. The stock is similar to Tonkotsu ramen, but the added dash of oil really adds another layer of flavour to the noodles.

Kosuke is a cozy little place that can hold no more than 40 people. However, I've never had to wait long for a seat. Service is fast and the staff are friendly. So yep, this is definitely a keeper for us. And just for kicks, I like how I can choose among a variety of side dishes to complement my ramen for just a buck or two. I've only tried their gyoza so far and it is not bad. Although the skin is a little thick, its crsipiness more than makes up for it. FYI, they also sell other japanese dishes like tonkatsu curry, which I often see many people ordering) and unagi rice.

Kosuke
618 West Main St
Alhambra, CA 91801
Monday to Saturday: 11:30 am to 9:30 pm Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment